I am professor of philosophy at the University of Maine. For the past 8 years, I have also taken on a series of administrative roles on my campus.
I am also a certified clinical ethicist with 15 years of experience consulting with health care systems, hospitals, physician practices, attorneys, medical and other professional associations, news media, and state and local governments.
Recently I became a professional career and executive academic coach, with over 75 hours of education and training and over 100 hours of coaching.
I have served UMaine as department chair, associate dean, and associate provost.
For 2022-2023 I have two admin roles:
- Acting chair of the department of sociology
- Research fellow for faculty development for the Office of the Vice President for Research
My research and teaching interests include clinical ethics, medical humanities, moral psychology, feminist theory, popular culture.
- Ethical Questions Surrounding Abortions Later in Pregnancy, on Maine Calling, Maine Public
- Ethics of Mandatory Vaccinations, on Maine Calling, Maine Public Radio
- Ethics of Vaccinations, on Maine Calling, Maine Public Radio
- The Ethics-or lack thereof-of jumping the vaccine line, in the Portland Press Herald
- Protecting the Vulnerable, my op-ed in the Bangor Daily News about what we can do to help our communities during the pandemic — and why we should do it.
- When will Life Get Back to Normal? My answer in the Portland Press Herald.
- Warning: This education might trigger trauma. Are we coddling College students?
- Should the Internet Pay for your Health Care? Maine kidney surgery raises ethical quandary
- Click here for an article in the Bangor Daily News about my work on vampires and bioethics.
Articles from UMaine Today:
- Healthcare’s Rural Realities (about my work as a clinical ethicist in a rural area)
- Final Decisions (about my work as a clinical ethicist with a focus on end of life care)
- Trust On The Line (about my research on the ethics of trust and feminist theory)
- Check out this UMaine Today Story and video about my clinical ethics work, my teaching, and my thoughts about the discipline of philosophy.
Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org