Welcome to the professional web page of Jessica P. Miller, PhD, HEC-C
I am Professor of Philosophy and Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs and Interdisciplinary Programs in the University of Maine College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. In that role, my passion is helping faculty, professional staff, chairs, and directors overcome obstacles and pursue meaningful research, transformative teaching, and impactful service.
I am also a certified clinical ethicist with over 15 years of experience consulting with health care systems, hospitals, physician practices, health care attorneys, medical and other professional associations, news media, and state and local governments.
Recently I trained to become a professional career and executive academic coach. With over 75 hours of education and training and over 100 hours of coaching, I have applied for my International Coaching Federation ACC credential. Check out my podcast, Coaching for Academics.
My research and teaching interests include clinical ethics, medical humanities, moral psychology, feminist theory, popular culture.
******Check out this UMaine Today Story and video about my clinical ethics work, my teaching, and my thoughts about the discipline of philosophy.********
- Ethics of Vaccinations, on Maine Calling, Maine Public Radio
- The Ethics-or lack thereof-of jumping the vaccine line, in the Portland Press Herald
- Protecting the Vulnerable, my op-ed in the Bangor Daily News about what we can do to help our communities during the pandemic — and why we should do it.
- When will Life Get Back to Normal? My answer in the Portland Press Herald.
- Warning: This education might trigger trauma. Are we coddling College students?
- Should the Internet Pay for your Health Care? Maine kidney surgery raises ethical quandary
- Click here for an article in the Bangor Daily News about my work on vampires and bioethics.
Articles from UMaine Today:
- Healthcare’s Rural Realities (about my work as a clinical ethicist in a rural area)
- Final Decisions (about my work as a clinical ethicist with a focus on end of life care)
- Trust On The Line (about my research on the ethics of trust and feminist theory)
Email me at jessica(dot)miller(at)maine(dot)edu/
Thank you for visiting!