Welcome to the professional web page of Jessica P. Miller, Ph.D., HEC-C*
(* Certified Healthcare Ethics Consultant)
I am Professor of Philosophy and Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs and Interdisciplinary Programs in the University of Maine College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. I am also staff clinical ethicist at Northern Light Health Eastern Maine Medical Center, the second largest hospital in Maine.
I have a pretty wide range of interests in clinical ethics, medical humanities, moral psychology, feminist theory, and popular culture.
******Check out this UMaine Today Story and video about my clinical ethics work, my teaching, and my thoughts about the discipline of philosophy.********
- Protecting the Vulnerable, my op-ed in the Bangor Daily News about what we can do to help our communities during the pandemic — and why we should do it.
- When will Life Get Back to Normal? My answer in the Portland Press Herald.
- Warning: This education might trigger trauma. Are we coddling College students?
- Should the Internet Pay for your Health Care? Maine kidney surgery raises ethical quandary.
- Click here for an article in the Bangor Daily News about my work on vampires and bioethics.
Articles from UMaine Today:
- Healthcare’s Rural Realities (about my work as a clinical ethicist in a rural area)
- Final Decisions (about my work as a clinical ethicist with a focus on end of life care)
- Trust On The Line (about my research on the ethics of trust and feminist theory)
Email me at jessica(dot)miller(at)maine(dot)edu/
Thank you for visiting!